Contact us to learn more about our programs
Would you like to join us?
An international career requires many qualities and skills. Working abroad is preceded by post-graduate studies. A student can choose from several courses in different fields. In this regard, ESCE offers “Grande École” programs allowing students to study abroad.
What fields of study may offer opportunities for an international career?
To consider an international career, you must go through higher education. The best way to do this is to go to an international business and management school. Generally, these types of business schools are accessible through post-bac competitive exams. In this regard, a student can choose from several courses, such as business management and marketing, international trade, business engineering and international relations.
What skills and qualities are required for an international career?
An international career is the dream of many recent graduates. However, you need to have some skills to hope to achieve your goals:
- mastery of the English language. It is unthinkable to embark on an international career without ensuring that you are fluent in English. As English is the international language of reference, it is essential ;
- managerial skills. Depending on the hierarchical rank of the position, managerial skills are important. If the future expatriate is to be in charge of a team, it is necessary to develop his leadership skills;
- the organization. Indeed, working internationally requires a set of administrative steps, sometimes consequent. To avoid getting lost, impeccable organization is necessary. Moreover, to understand the functioning of the company, its working methods, its structure and its objectives, one must have a great sense of organization;
- relational skills, which are fundamental. Since the work is spread out over a fairly long period of time, it is relevant to be on good terms with future colleagues. The future expatriate may have to work with people from different cultural backgrounds, so it is important to make sure that everything goes smoothly. Above all, you must avoid being isolated if you hope to succeed in your experience abroad;
- cultural openness, which is essential. You have to know how to deal with the new environment you are facing. Thus, it is necessary to learn about the different forms of politeness specific to the destination country, its cultural practices and its ways of communicating.
How can higher education help prepare for an international career?
Schools of higher education are opening up to the world, to offer programs that prepare students for an international career. Moreover, they offer several training courses focused on import/export, finance, management, business, trade, international relations.
Also, studying in the grandes écoles ensures that the teaching is fully adapted to the preparation of a future international career. In this regard, institutions that offer courses in English should be preferred.
In addition, while there are many courses available to offer international career opportunities, not all of them offer overseas experiences. The choice will be based on the desired direction, whether it be in entrepreneurship, management, marketing or finance.
What options does ESCE offer for studying abroad and how can they help develop an international career?
Founded in 1968, the École Supérieure du Commerce Extérieur (ESCE) offers a Grande École program. This gives you the opportunity to study abroad, in one of our partner universities or campuses abroad. We plan to go abroad in the 2nd and 4th year.
However, other opportunities are offered throughout the curriculum. Thus, from the 1st year, there are Summer Schools in 8 tracks of your choice in the world. We have 190 partner universities. Furthermore, as a holder of the Erasmus Charter, we give our students the opportunity to study for a semester in Europe, as part of the Erasmus + program.
How can I make the most of my internship and work experience abroad for an international career?
Work experience abroad is an asset to one’s resume. Thus, everything that is learned abroad brings real added value and makes it possible to stand out from the other candidates. Such experience is a plus when applying for jobs in companies that work with other countries.
Also, professional experience abroad demonstrates a certain ability to adapt and a great openness of mind, qualities that are highly sought after in recruitment. In addition, working abroad has allowed me to master another language, although a good level of English is always highly appreciated in a company.
Working abroad allows you to acquire life skills such as autonomy, organization, independence, creativity, adaptation, flexibility, and the ability to leave your comfort zone. They are very useful, especially for positions in crisis management, management or in the commercial field.Updated 21 April 2023