Contact us to learn more about our programs
Would you like to join us?
The master’s degree is the last step for many students before entering the professional world. To facilitate this transition into working life, a work-study master’s degree is the best option. Under an apprenticeship or professionalization contract, the program allows students to combine their studies with professional experience. Since its inception, many undergraduates and M1 graduates have chosen this program for a better adaptation to professional life.
What is a work-study Master?
At the university or in the grandes écoles, work-study programs allow students to prepare for their degree while experiencing the professional world.
Depending on the type of contract, apprenticeship or professionalization, work-study programs allow students to pursue higher education at all levels. After the baccalaureate, students can continue their training in a sandwich course, up to the BTS or DUT, for their bachelor’s degree, master’s degree and doctorate.
A Master’s degree in work-study is awarded at the end of a 5-year course and lasts 2 years after obtaining a general or professional degree. During this period, the student combines classes and work hours in companies. Depending on the institution, there are 3 types of work-study master’s programs:
- the university master ;
- the master’s degree, Bac + 5, from the grandes écoles, such as ESCE;
- the Master of Science, MSc, an international program that takes 18 months, like the one at ESCE.
You should know that in order to access a master’s program, the student must have 180 ECTS credits.
Why do a Master’s degree in alternation?
For a student entering the final phase of his or her studies, a work-study master’s program offers many advantages. Whether it is an apprenticeship or professionalization contract, the student benefits from the following advantages
- The work-study Master’s program allows students toenter the professional world, since part of the training is done in a company.
- on the one hand, the student receives a salary, which allows him or her to cover tuition fees and daily expenses. Thus, he can meet his own expenses related to transportation, housing and food;
- In addition, a student who chooses a work-study program has a greater advantage with recruiters. Thanks to his or her training in the company, the work-study student has the skills adapted to the company’s needs for certain key positions.
How to apply for a work-study Master’s degree?
If you are interested in this type of training, you should know that the selection of files is subject to certain conditions. To be admitted into the work-study master’s program, students must have a bachelor’s degree:
- a professional license;
- a general license;
- a bachelor’s degree.
ESCE offers support to students in order to provide a solid application to companies.
How to find a company to do a work-study Master?
There are two possible scenarios for students: they can start their master’s degree without having found a company or they can find their work-study program before applying for the program of their choice. Depending on the specialization, some companies request work-study students from the institution, such as technology or telecommunications.
If you choose a different major, most universities and colleges work with partner companies. They propose job offers according to their human resources needs.
At ESCE, the school helps students find the right company for their specialty. The Career Center assists students in their search for a work-study contract. The school helps students write their resumes and match their applications to the needs of recruiters.
How much does a student get paid during a work-study Master’s degree?
It is important to know that work-study programs are paid. For a better professional integration, the student benefits from the following advantages
- as an employee, he is paid in proportion to the minimum wage according to his age and the diploma he is preparing;
- by remaining a student, the alternating student is exempt from tuition fees, which are paid by the company.
Which work-study Master’s program should I choose at ESCE?
If you are considering a work-study Master’s degree at ESCE, you should know that the Grande Ecole program allows for this.
The school offers 4 specializations for a master’s degree in work-study. The Grande Ecole program involves :
- The International consumer marketing master’s degree This is a specialization in marketing strategy and consumer business. To access this training, a diploma of bac + 3 is required. This specialization is only offered in Paris and in apprenticeship
- the master’s degree in business engineering If you choose this specialization for a work-study master’s degree, you should know that work-study is offered on the Paris and Lyon campuses.
- the master’s degree in purchasing To be admitted to this program, you need a bachelor’s degree. This specialization is only in apprenticeship and in Paris;
Master’s degree in management control and finance This specialization requires a baccalaureate + 3 years of higher education and is offered as an apprenticeship only on the Paris campus.Updated 24 April 2023